At Swan Hill College we believe all students should be given the opportunity to achieve their full potential during their time at school. Acceleration enables a student to participate in a variety of programs that will challenge them. It will encourage them to maximise their opportunities to achieve their post secondary goals.
The aims of this policy are:
- To establish a personalised pathway for all students.
- To extend the individual on an academic and personal basis.
The following criteria will be considered when students apply to accelerate:
For VCE/VET acceleration:
- Students should be above the expected level in the appropriate domain and it is recommended they are at least at level for English and/or Mathematics to accelerate. The subject they wish to accelerate into will determine which of these they need to be above the expected level in.
- They have demonstrated an effective work ethic which is reflected in their school assessments.
- Approval for acceleration has been obtained from a teacher of related subjects from the previous year/semester and the Year Level Coordinator.
- They demonstrate knowledge of the particular requirements of the accelerated subject.
- They have a proposed pathway for studies in later school years.
As part of applying for acceleration the following must occur:
- Parent consent and acknowledgement is required before participation. This is obtained through the subject information and selection evenings.
- Students prove that they have the ability to work cooperatively with staff and students in the class.
- To continue in the acceleration program, students must demonstrate successful outcomes.
When considering the option of acceleration, staff and students will consider:
- Year 10 students can meet their KLA unit requirements by undertaking VCE/VET studies from that KLA area.
- The effect of acceleration on a three-year plan for Years 10, 11 and 12.
- All Year 11 students are required to complete 12 units during that year and 10 units during Year 12. Exemptions will not be given to Year 11 students studying unit 3 & 4 sequences.
- In exceptional cases outside of the guidelines mentioned above, students must submit an application to the Careers office and have an interview with a panel consisting of: Careers Manager, Year Level Manager, Senior Sub-School Manager and relevant KLA manager.